Breaking News: Update Egypt: crash and fire at Cairo train station.
At least 25 people have been killed and 50 injured after a train smashed into a barrier at Cairo's main train station, state television and witnesses have said. Photographs on social media showed clouds of black smoke billowing from the building in central Cairo. Footage also showed fire engulfing the train and a nearby platform and people rushing to help the injured. Ambulances and rescue teams have been dispatched to the site, medical sources said. Egypt's National Railway Authority confirmed the accident, saying several people were killed and injured. In a statement, the authority said the fire broke out after a train derailed and collided with a concrete barrier at the station, without giving further details. Security sources told Reuters news agency that there was no indication the crash was deliberate. A witness said there was an explosion when the train rammed into a steel barrier. "I was standing on the platform and I saw the train speed into the barrier," witness Mina Ghaly told Reuters news agency. "Everyone started running but a lot of people died after the locomotive exploded. "I saw at least nine corpses lying on the ground, charred." Eyewitness Ibrahim Hussein said: "I saw a man pointing from the locomotive as it entered the platform, and screaming 'There are no brakes, there are no brakes’ before he jumped out of the locomotive. And I don’t know what happened to him." Several witnesses said they had seen fire coming out of the train's engine before it crashed, causing an explosion and fires inside the station.
- Duration: 02:15
- CCTV: Video of the accident in train station in Egypt00:20
- Egypt Train Station fire: At least 20 Dead and Dozens Injured00:36
- #Egypt: Crash and fire at Cairo's train station kills at least 2000:49
- Egypt train fire: Deadly blaze at Cairo's main railway station (top building view)00:45
- Breaking News Baltimore Freight train derails near Train Catches Fire Explosion Breaks McDonalds Windows00:49
- Breaking News - George Square Crash01:52
- Breaking News Chicago train crash 33 people injured after trains collide01:00